Just a quick post today.
Took the B out for a quick run today since the weather was being kind.
From home to Sundridge and back via Riverhead. Really nice run along the country lanes in the sun with the hood down.
After returning home, took my son up to Biggin Hill and back as well.
Let’s hope this is just the start of some good weather this year.
The plan was to collect the car early in the morning and for my son and I to travel down to be at the track by around 10:30. He was going to take his video camera so we could take video as we participated in the charity parade laps.
Sadly this was not to be. I picked up the car around 07:30 and took it to the petrol station, filled up (this is important later) and went back home to collect my son. On arriving at home I noticed a growing pool of liquid at the offside rear corner of the car. Getting down on my hands and knees confirmed my fears – a petrol leak!
After spending some time drying off the petrol and trying to identify the source, I came to the conclusion that it was leaking around where the fuel pipe connects to the tank. I tried nipping the fuel line connection up but no change.
At this point two things became clear:
- We weren’t going to get to Goodwood.
- I needed to fix the leak, which was going to be difficult with a tank full of petrol – see I said it was important!
A short trip to Halfords and a 20 litre Jerry can and some Leak Fix later it was time to tackle the problem.
I disconnected the fuel line to the front carb. and routed it into a cut down plastic milk bottle. My wife held the bottle and fuel line as I turned on the ignition to get the fuel pump to run. Once the bottle was full, off with the ignition and into the Jerry can with the petrol. Repeat around 10 more times and we’d taken half the petrol back out of the tank.
At this point the leak appeared to have stopped. I cleaned the tank down and dried it off. Two liberal layers of Leak Fix later, with the appropriate time for curing between and we were ready to see if it had worked. Hopefully or we’d be taking the petrol back out of the tank again!
Gradually we poured the petrol back into the tank until the gauge read full again and then checked for leaks. Success! No leaking petrol.
After reconnecting the fuel line to the carb., I fired up the engine and everything seemed to working fine, no leaks at the tank or the carb.
Unfortunately it was too late to do anything sensible with the car, so off it went back to storage.
After all that there was only one thing left to do, take the long-suffering family out – The Lego Movie and dinner seemed to fit the bill.
Hopefully the next time I want to go out nothing else will rear its head!
After spending some time cleaning terminals and charging the batteries up fully – with the charger switching to trickle – success!
Refitted the batteries and took the car out for a run yesterday.
It started well and whilst it was dry we went for a reasonable run to Biggin Hill and back.
Need to try starting it again in a few days if it dries out again!